Loaded with gut-friendly bacteria, kimchi is an awesome Korean dish that helps aid in digestion, detoxifies the body, assists in weight and diabetes management, and generally offers a variety of great nutritional benefits. Typically fermented cabbage and loads of garlic are the two most recognized ingredients in kimchi; however, this recipe gives you a quick and easy option to enjoy Korea’s national dish in as little as 12 to 24 hours.
- 2 small cucumbers (8 ounces)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1¼-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and then crosswise into ⅛-inch-thick half-moons. Place in a medium bowl and mix with salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Combine garlic, scallions, ginger, vinegar, chili powder, sugar and fish sauce in a bowl
Drain cucumbers and stir into the vinegar mixture. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Recipe credit: Eatingwell.com