Movember is a time to raise awareness about a pressing issue in men’s health. Each year, thousands of fathers, brothers, sons, partners, and friends, lose their lives because of prostate cancer. Once diagnosed, these men are faced with various medical treatment options, depending on the severity/progression of the cancer.
Each week during the month of November we will speak about some of the dietary and exercises to help with prostate health.
To start here are some Basic Dietary Considerations:
- REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF ANIMAL FAT: High animal fat diets are linked to an INCREASED risk of prostate cancer development.
- EAT MORE CRUCIFEROUS VEGGIES: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, Bok Choy, turnips, cabbage, & turnips. They contain a substance calledindole-3-carbinol that helps the body detoxify cancer-causing agents!
- REDCUE YOUR ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION: Alcohol has been shown to promote cancer development by increasing free-radical damage, weakens the immune system, speeds up the delivery of cancer causing agents in the body, increase the release of certain hormones associated with cancer.
- AVOID CHARRED FOODS/PAN FRIED MEAT: I know it may be delicious to some of you, but the consumption of these foods are STRONGLY linked to human cancers, like prostate cancer!
- EAT MORE FRUITS & VEGGIES: Consuming AT LEAST 5 SERVINGS/DAY of fruits and veggieshave antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and a variety of phytonutrients that are important to help ward off cancer in general."
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
- Dr. Daniel Corallo, DC