Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas
1large butternut squash, approximately 3-3 1/2 cups peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup salsa of choice
3 ounces (about 3/4 cup) vegan cheddar cheese
3/4 cup enchilada sauce
10 small tortillas
1 cup vegan Mexican cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Grease large baking sheet with coconut oil cooking spray and spread cubed butternut squash out in even layer. Roast for 15 minutes, stir/flip, then roast another 10 minutes or until firm/tender but not overcooked. Set aside and turn oven down to 350°F.
- Meanwhile add coconut oil, chopped onion, bell pepper, and garlic to large saucepan, and cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until onions are translucent, add in black beans and cooked butternut squash, stir to combine.
- Add all seasonings (chili powder through black pepper) to the saucepan and stir well.
- Then add vegan cheddar cheese and salsa, mix well, and let simmer 2-3 minutes on low.
- Using a glass 9x13-inch casserole dish, add enchilada sauce and spread to an even layer, making sure you coat evenly.
- Lay out tortillas, and add two large spoonfuls of butternut squash mix to center of each tortilla. Sprinkle with a layer of lite Mexican blend cheese, then fold two ends in and add to casserole dish with the folded side down.
- You should have about 2 tablespoons of Mexican blend cheese left after adding all ten enchiladas to a dish, sprinkle tops of enchiladas with the remaining cheese, then bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes.
Remove and let cool for 3-5 minutes, then serve with tortilla chips and top with sour cream, salsa, chopped cilantro, avocado!
Recipe source: https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/butternut-squash-black-bean-enchiladas/